Here are some example lessons that can be done with any picture book. You can do any or all of the lessons, depending on your time, your goals, and the interest of your students. It would require a lot of focus to do all eight lessons, even briefly, in one day, but it is possible if your students are interested and dedicated. If your students are interested in long, detailed stories and reports, and many detailed drawings, it may take even up to twenty days. Generally, however, one to two days would be great for an overview of several lessons, and five to ten days would be sufficient for depth studies of all eight lessons.
- Read a story to your students.
- Ask them to read the story to you, taking turns by page, or reading as long as a student feels comfortable.
- Ask them to write out what the story was about and draw a picture.
- Ask them to write their own story using their own selection of words from the story you read.
- Ask them to write a story about their own winter adventure.
- Learn about the animals, people, and/or places mentioned in the story.
- Draw the animals, people and/or places.
- Create a portfolio or other book to showcase their work.